I blame my husband.
He blames the GPS.
He accidentally pushed One Wrong Button. This particular button was the do-you-mind-if-we- take-an-unpaved-road-to-save-a-whole-bunch-of-time button.
And he made a turn. Onto a gravel road. And by the time we realized we were on a very long, extremely narrow gravel road, we were at a point where we couldn't turn around. We were pulling the boat.
The GPS indicated we'd be turning in 2.2 miles. We thought "how bad can it be?". So we drove on.
This is what awaited us at the end of the 2.2 miles:.
We finally met up with the pavement EIGHTEEN MILES LATER.
.
About 4 miles in, I casually checked my iPhone. No service.
.
Then, up ahead we spied a STREAM trickling across the road. We crossed it. Did I mention we were pulling the boat? On a trailer?
.
About 6 miles into our journey, I began to mentally assess our staples:
.
We have 1/4 tank of gas. What if we run out? Can we siphon gas from the boat?
Then I asked Dave if we have some sort of hose. He looks at me like I have corn growing out my ears, so I stopped talking and resumed biting my nails and SILENTLY assessing our staples.
Do I have enough water and milk to sustain us in the event we're stranded?
Are there bears in these woods?
Then I looked down and realized I'd taken up nail-biting again.
Then I heard the theme song from Deliverance.
I swear I heard it. Banjos playing. The whole deal. I swear!
I look over at Dave to see how he's doing, and here's what he says to me:
"My boat is getting so dirty".


That is HILARIOUS!
ReplyDeleteLMAO. Seriously. That is PERFECT!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for making me squirt my water out my nose! note to self: do not drink while reading Rita's blog.
ReplyDelete