| On my hip in 2010 |
Due to strange circumstances, Dave was home early today from work, which meant that he was here when I arrived home from Mother's Day Out with Paige. Because I knew Dave was upstairs, I grabbed Paige out of the car and carried her all the way up to him. She rode on my hip the way she did when she was a much smaller girl. Except today her legs hung down to my knees and her weight bore down on my joints.
It occured to me even in that moment that this very well could be the last time I carry her like this. Which means, it's the last time I'll carry any of my babies like that. Riding along on my hip as if they are still attached via umbilical.
It made me sad to witness a little piece of their childhoods falling away. And since so many of these things go by unnoticed - the last bottle, the last night with a pacifier, the last pair of footie pajamas - I decided I'd write down the last day I carried my last baby on my hip.
I want to remember this one. Just because.

Keep on doing it one more time. just in case.
ReplyDeleteSoooobbbbb! :( I know exactly how you feel. I have a whole part in my book on these "lasts" of parenting. Last Labor Day I carried Genevieve on part of a hike. My husband refused her, thought it was ridiculous (she'd just turned 5). I didn't care--how much longer did he think we'd even be ABLE to carry her?! She was totally heavy and I worked up a sweat and I could only do it for a short ways, but I was happy to do it. They're only little once.
ReplyDeleteI am amazed when I carry bonham or pick him up. He takes up my entire body. When did that happen?!? He's huge!
ReplyDeleteI know just how you feel. My "baby" is nearly seven. And approaching 50 lbs. I won't be able to lift her up to my hip any more, or carry her any more, one day soon. And oh, how that hurts my heart. :(
ReplyDeleteI love having a baby on my hip. I may need to steal one. :-)
ReplyDeleteUm, I'm almost in tears. Seriously. I know that feeling. And you just want to bottle it up and remember it forever. I need to start blogging those moments too. It was so nice meeting you last night!
ReplyDeleteMelissa