| morning snuggles |
So I've been pseudo-homeschooling my first grader since September. Aren't you wondering how it's going? I hardly ever talk about it on my blog. Why? Because it's been such a non-issue. So completely easy and good that writing about it would be sort of boring.
For those of you who are new here, my kid was in public school for three years (two years of pre-k, and then Kindergarten), before I chose to move him into a smaller private school. A private school that only meets two days per week. Mondays and Wednesdays William attends school all day just like any other kid. Tuesdays and Thursdays he is tasked with specific homework assigned by his teacher. My job on homeschool days is to keep him on task, and answer questions if necessary.
Which means I'm not *really* homeschooling. Because I do not have to introduce or teach any topics.
There are two things about this "blended model" that I find difficult. The first is silly, but it does cause us MUCH grief: waking up on school days. William must rise by 7am in order to arrive at school by 8:30am. He finds this wake-up time to be VERY offensive. We've had several mornings where he's vacillated between weeping and surliness because he's "so very tired". In fact, if you ask him how he likes his new school, he's libel to say "it's fine, but it's SO EARLY".
Now, you and I both know that if he were attending "real school" he'd have to rise every single day at the "ungodly hour" of 7am. But I warn you not to try and use this rationale with William. He's not buying it. He is utterly convinced that all of the public school children sleep until they wake naturally, then wander off to school where they have hours and hours of recess followed by cupcake parties every afternoon. He believes this because in Kindergarten, he really DID have hours and hours of recess, and sometimes they'd watch an entire Disney movie in the afternoons. Yeesh.
The other difficulty with the "blended model" is William's struggle to stay focused during our homeschool days. There are many moments when my only option is to sit right next to him and force him to finish his work. As you might imagine, this is a frustrating situation for both of us.
But that's it. Two complaints. Everything else is wonderful. The curriculum is impressively intense, and yet he is keeping up with the work without any trouble. He loves his teacher and his new friends. *I* love the other mothers (who are all crazy just like me!). We still have cupcake parties (a reasonable number). And (contrary to William's wailings) there is plenty of recess and P.E.
But the best part? The easy pace. Three mornings per week, I snuggle in bed with my kids until 8am. We eat a leisurely breakfast and start school at 9am. We're usually done by lunch and then we can play the rest of the day. We typically stay in our pajamas until school work is done. For me, it's heaven.
I often think of other mothers busily making lunches and hustling children to carpool while I'm under the covers snuggling with my kids. I love our time together. I love that William and Paige have become so close (William paces outside the door when Paige is napping, just waiting for her to wake up).
I know this life would not be for everyone, but it suits us.
I have no idea what the future holds. I have no idea if this is the school for us until graduation. I just know it's working now. My kids are happy. I'm happy.
It's working.

And that makes me happy.
ReplyDeleteYou. Are. Amazing. Seriously, do you remember how freaked out you were when this first started? And how you didn't know if you could do it? Or if William could do it? OMG, lady! You're totally rocking it! And so is your son! I'm so happy for you. I love hearing about it. :)
ReplyDeleteThat makes me very happy as well. What a great thing.
ReplyDeleteDoes the name of the school start with a V?? I've seriously been considering it for my daughter who is in kindergarten at a public school right now.
ReplyDeleteVanessa, yes! It indeed starts with a V. Email or call me if you have questions. I am IN LOVE with this school.
ReplyDeleteTheortloffs@cox.net
405. 202. 1694
Thank you!
ReplyDelete