This whole weekly lunch thing was dad's idea. I don't think he really liked talking on the phone, plus he liked the structure - knowing he'd be able to hug my neck every single week - and he liked that he didn't have to remember to plan/set up our meetings. And frankly, I liked it too. Everyone at my office knew not to schedule lunch meetings on Wednesdays because I was guaranteed to be gone.
My dad did this same setup with my Aunt Susie (his big sister). Their designated day was Friday. Same thing. 11:30am to beat the crowds.
My weekly lunch dates with dad went on for something like 8 years. The week he died, I saw him for our regularly scheduled Wednesday lunch, and he was gone the following Friday morning. I have always loved that I saw him that Wednesday. In fact, I got all sentimental at that final lunch and thanked him for everything he'd done for me (as if I'd somehow KNOWN this was my last chance to talk to him alive).
Two weeks after he died, I called my Aunt Susie and told her WE should start doing weekly lunches. That was in 2005. We're still meeting every week. Every Monday you will find us at a restaurant halfway between her office and my home. We rarely talk in-between. We save up our news for Monday.
So this past Monday night, my brother called out of the blue and asked if I could meet him for a cocktail. Dave put the kids to bed while I dashed off to spend the evening with Russ. We sat on a bar stool and visited for two hours. And at the end of the evening, Russ said "we should do this every Monday night!"
| yes. i know my brother is very handsome. and single! |
And of course I agreed. Because in my family, it seems a weekly scheduled date is the way we stay connected.
Do you do this? Weekly pre-planned meetings or phone calls? How do you keep in touch with your loved ones?

Your brother IS very handsome! How old is he?
ReplyDeleteMargaret- he's 35.
ReplyDeleteThis gave me a lump in my throat. I WISH I had a weekly time set up to see family. But all of my family (besides the one I created) are thousands of miles away.
ReplyDeleteYou're lucky, you know.
Oh Laura, I really DO know. I am so so lucky to have family nearby.
ReplyDeleteMy mother moved to OKC when she married my dad so she had a standing PHONE date with her mother back in Texas. Every Saturday morning at 10:00 for my entire childhood.
how special. everyone should make a point to connect with loved ones like that. thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteMy mom died very suddenly and unexpectedly 2 years ago. I wish we had done something like this.
ReplyDeleteI should call my dad this week and schedule a lunch date.
And yes, your brother IS handsome!
This made me teary eyed..not great since I'm T karate right now. I love that you did these lunches and are starting a new one with your brother. Love it
ReplyDelete