Friday, July 20, 2012

Rita 'Nuther Book (HarHar)

Hey! Let's talk about some more books you should read.  But before we get started, we need to get something straight: I do not DO NOT like books that are 1) scary 2) sad, 3) gruesome.  So you will never hear me recommending books in any or all of those categories.  Because, HELLO, life is scary, sad, and gruesome enough THANKYOUVERYMUCH.

Now, on with the books.

First up: The House of Tynford by Natasha Solomons.


Oh my goodness.  Do you love Downton Abbey?  Yes?  Then go buy yourself this book pronto.  You're going to drink it in just like I did.

Next: The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly.



This is apparently a young adult book, and yet I loved it so much! Does this mean I'm immature?  Probably.  I don't care.  I loved it.  It's about a little girl who develops a special relationship with her grumpy grandfather.  It will make you want to go hug your grampa's neck.   Which was sad for me, as my grampa is long dead.  *sob*

And finally.  Oh you guys, this is one of my all-time favorites.  It's called The Red Garden.


It's written by Alice Hoffman who wrote Practical Magic (remember Practical Magic? With Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock?).  But this book is completely different from Practical Magic.  It's about a town, really.  About a parcel of land and all those that inhabit it throughout many generations.  Each chapter is a stand-alone story, but as you read, you realize that, say, the woman in this chapter, is the granddaughter of the newborn baby in the last chapter.  So all of the stories are loosely connected by these people and this land.

I don't know.  I just loved it.  I loved that Alice Hoffman thought it up.  I want to buy her a cup of coffee and ask her how this idea fell into her head.  I'm fascinated.

So there, that should keep you busy for a while.  I'm still plugging away at the first book of the Game of Thrones series.  So far, I like it!  What about you?  Read anything good lately?

2 comments:

  1. Do you use Goodreads? It's great for recommndations! http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5755310-marek Don't worry about the fact that my last 4 books added are ones you recommended...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marek! I haven't used Goodreads. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete