Which meant all we had to do is while away the hours between breakfast and lunch. Going outside was not an option - as it was 5 degrees. And let me just ask - how do you people up North *do* this? Do you send your children outside to play in the 5 degree weather? Don't they get frostbite on their noses and other exposed areas? And if you *don't* send them outside, how do you not go INSANE in the wintertime? Aren't your children stir crazy?
Because mine certainly are and it's only been 3 days.
We decided to spend the morning doing crafts. Specifically, I brought down the easel and let the children paint.
| Yes she's still wearing her pajamas. In fact, she's commando. What's your point? |
And now I have a question for you parents out there who let your children freely craft - how do you not go crazy about the mess? I swear to you I got an ACTUAL CRAMP while watching my children finger paint. I was squeezing my buttocks and clenching my jaw and just TRYING so hard not to throw my body in front of the curtains and the rugs and the furniture.
| Someone get me a paper bag - I think I'm hyperventilating. |
| That's beautiful son! (Now go wash your hands) |
Do you Crafty Types just let your children make a huge mess, then clean it up later (with, I'm sure, a very Zen-like attitude), or do you have some sort of haz-mat approved area of your home (say the garage?) where you let them go to town with no fear of real damage? Or do you just hide your eyes and take up drinking (which is what *I* considered today).
| You need to lighten up, lady. |
Just HOW? How do you do it? Because, I think I have a butt clenching injury. Srsly.
School is out again tomorrow. AND? AND our out-of-town trip has been cancelled for this weekend.
As one of my Facebook friends said today "I may need to be put on suicide watch".

The only thing I have to say is, that's the cutest picture of Peanut Butter I have ever seen. And, when did she turn 12?
ReplyDeleteOK, Rita. I am one of those sympathy-worthy Northern moms, as you know.
ReplyDeleteI do send my children outside to play in the snow and cold in the winter---but not when it's 5 degrees outside. I'd say they go out until it's about, I don't know, 10 degrees? When they were younger, I of course had to go out WITH them every day. Now they are old enough to play in our backyard w/ their neighbor friend while I watch from the nice, warm inside.
But of course, there is a LOT of winter in MN that is colder than 10 degrees. Then we stay in. And go insane. Seriously, why do you think so many of us have the winter depression syndrome? IT IS FREAKING HARD to be a full-time stay-at-home mom to young children in the winter in northern climates. Like, wonder if you can go on any longer hard.
The good news is it was a lot harder before they were old enough for school. Now J. is gone all day in 1st grade, and G. is at least gone 2-1/2 hours on 3 days per week. That helps a lot. I honestly don't know how I survived the 5 years before now without losing my mind and all my hair. (Wait...that pretty much did happen to me, actually.)
As for crafts, I have a plastic mat type thing I put on the dining room table (a vinyl picnic-table tablecloth would work). I let them paint there. Also? My house is not as nice as yours. Ergo, not as much nice stuff to worry about getting wrecked. ;)
Oh Lord! I'm going crazy for you! Five degrees is insane. I'm hoping a heat wave hits Oklahoma this weekend. (Although then? Melting snow = Mud! Which I hate more than finger paint.) School on Monday! I declare it!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhen we lived in Minnesota, and the babies were really babies, and winter was really winter, I used to take them (well, Anabel. Alia didn't have a winter there.) to the grocery store around sample time. As a result, she has a wonderful palate for fine cheese. But you'll really like this one: When we suffered through our snow week in early January here in Georgia, I outsourced the mothering. Yep, hired a babysitter one day and Scotty and I left to get massages. Highly recommend!
ReplyDelete