| do you miss me as much as I miss you? |
Oh you guys! Hi! I'm here! I miss you! You're going to have to bear with me for a little while. I love writing. I love this blog. I love YOU. But I'm struggling to find balance with my new job. I thought I could easily find 3 hours per day to work. Three measly hours! How hard could that be?
OHMYGAHSOHARD.
It's not that I didn't HAVE the three hours to spare. It's that those three hours are sprinkled throughout my day. You see, I thought (INSANELY) that I could carve out three CONSECUTIVE hours each day. Oh HAHAHAHA! What the heck, me? Turns out, it's an hour here, 15 minutes there, 30 minutes over here. Which means every moment I even CONSIDER sitting down to write on my blog, I start feeling guilty that those are minutes I could be working.
Or volunteering.
I also didn't realize how committed I was. I'm so OVER-COMMITTED you guys! How did this happen? I'm on the board of directors for my neighborhood homeowners association. I have volunteered to run the monthly parent's luncheon at William's school. I provide (creative! thoughtful!) gifts to the teachers at each of their staff meetings. Speaking of which, lookie here at what I did for a gift on Monday:
| you cannot believe how hard it was for me to come up with a "mint" pun. |
I KNOW! So cute! And also completely stolen from Pinterest. I am such a good plagiarizer!
This week and last I've been setting my alarm for 6am so that I can have 30 uninterrupted minutes alone with my hot cup of coffee and my iPad. I do things like read blogs and peruse Twitter. Such frivolity! Then I spend the rest of the day Doing Only Productive Things.
Oh POOR ME! Only productive things! HOW WILL I SURVIVE IN THIS ENVIRONMENT?
Ok, the truth is that I already feel like I'm getting into a groove. And it's only been 3 weeks, right? Learning an entire new job (especially after NOT working for a zillion years) is supposed hard, and when I know things a little better I'm certain I will be back to blogging more regularly.
Yes! I will survive to blog another day!
In the mean time, tell me you missed me as much as I've missed you.

I have! I have missed you!
ReplyDeleteI remember this so well. When I had my PT work from home job writing for Livestrong, I did 2 to 3 hours of work per day, generally. And, like you, I ended up using a spare few minutes here, a half hour there. It was insane. However, I DID get used to it after awhile. So will you. :) Oh, and btw, why do you think I get up at 5? So I can read blogs and drink coffee uninterrupted. :)
You will find your groove. I promise! Mostly it is just getting used to working in bit, like you said. I can work here and there, but it is hard to do big chunks of time...which means I need more lists and more patience. I am used to doing things right away, now I need to prioritize more. 3 weeks in and you are already getting it, 3 more and you will be a pro. I know it. And we can always trade babysitting to help each other out ;) I am slightly scared for summer. I think I need to learn to work some at night instead of going to lay in bed and veg right after B goes to bed. But how?!?! Ugh.
ReplyDeleteI admire you. I found working from home to be very frustrating. For all the reasons you described. I've missed you.
ReplyDeleteAnd now you know why my blog post goal is one per week. And, here it is the second week of April, and I've posted exactly ZERO this month...ugh!
ReplyDeleteArrgh! I always lose my comments on this thing... to rehash, YES! we've missed you... Your witty bon mots & day-in-the life posts are my absolute favorite in my huge pile of blog subscriptions.
ReplyDeleteAlso, when I first started working from home I had the hardest time "finding time" to get things done... until I logged every minute of my day in an app from www.toggl.com - it was SO useful to see what I was actually doing in a week, and find spaces of time to compress, combine or capture...