![]() |
| . |
No one.
We veteran moms want to grab those pregnant mothers by the shoulders and say LABOR IS NOTHING, wait until you haven't slept more than 90 consecutive minutes IN WEEKS and talk to me about pain. Wait until the baby coughs like a seal and his little lips turn blue and you rush to the hospital praying like mad the whole way... that, girlfriend, is anxiety.
Well, I've been wondering if mothers of grown children are keeping a dirty secret from ME. Because lately, I feel like my children are just so cute and funny and adorable - Paige with her pigtails and sparkly pink toenails that are so tiny they look like specks of dust, and William with his constant questions about the universe coupled with a smattering of freckles across his nose the sight of which makes my eyes mist over. I wonder if those mothers of grown children are looking at me when I cross the parking lot holding both of their wee little hands and thinking "enjoy it woman, because this is as good as it gets".
I worry that's what they're thinking. "Wait until they're teenagers", they mutter under their breath. "Wait until that little pigtailed girl says she hates you". I worry that they're not telling me because I don't need to know - that it would ruin this for me - they think I shouldn't know, because what good does it do to know this is all so fleeting? And that it's going to get worse from here.
Kind of like we veterans never, ever tell new moms about The First Three Months. Because it's too late for them now. They'll know soon enough. No need to worry them. It is what it is.
Are you worried about what lies ahead? About parenting adolescents? Because I'm terrified. Truly.


YES!! I worry about the same thing. Just the other day my husband and I were joking about just how much our 3-year old son talks(seriously it is non-stop), and I started to worry about what it could be like if he turns into a teenager that doesn't talk to us at all.
ReplyDeleteYES. I worry about this all the time! When I worked outside the home for pay, I was a therapist specializing in teen girls/young adult women & their families. I've seen it all firsthand and I dread it with every fiber of my being!
ReplyDeleteEvery time I cuddle with jack I spend 1/2 the time thinking/hoping/wishing this isn't the last time he asks for it. That tomorrow he won't be too big to cuddle mommy.
ReplyDeleteThey are still cute and adorable and loveable, but in different ways. They are also amazing, empathetic and courageous when they are adults.
ReplyDeleteStacyfrPgh (kids are 21 and 25)