And yes, I realize I'm worrying about things that will happen SIX MONTHS FROM NOW.
But still. Three. How did that happen?
I've made only one resolution this year. And no, it has nothing to do with this:
| I'm *certain* something is faulty with this thing. |
And I figure something so ordinary as "lose ten pounds" does not merit my resolution list anymore. Especially since I've been gaining and losing those same ten pounds for the last ten years. We're like old friends, that fat and me. It says 'goodbye' every spring, and then comes back around for a visit every winter.
No, this year I'm resolving to Be a Better Meal Planner.
It took me some time to come up with that. At first, I thought I'd like to Be a Better Cook. But that doesn't really do it. I *can* cook. But, I am craptastically bad at 1)coming up with a meal idea 2) having the correct ingredients on hand 3) starting the meal on time 4) coming up with appropriate side dishes.
I realize for some women this is just second nature. Like "of COURSE you serve baked potatoes and apple sauce with pork chops!". For me, nothing comes easy in this realm. Once, right after I had Paige, my friend Susan drove here from Tulsa to help out. She spent the day doing my laundry and my dishes and holding my newborn baby while I napped (best gift EVER from a friend, by the way). And the last thing she did before she went back home was to make me a meal. And she made an entire meal FROM THE INGREDIENTS I HAD ON HAND. She just looked through my freezer and my pantry AND CAME UP WITH AN ENTIRE MEAL.
This is so amazing to me. If she had walked outside and leaped my entire house in a single bound I would not have been more impressed.
There is absolutely NO WAY I could do that. NO POSSIBLE WAY. In order to make a meal, I have to 1) make a list of all ingredients needed 2) go to the store for those specific things 3) come home and begin preparing the meal 4) go back to the store for the one damn thing I forgot (ALWAYS!) 5) try not to burn anything (including myself).
But I'm resolving to get better at all this. I figure the only way to get better at anything is practice. So that's what I aim to do. This year I'm going to make meal after meal after meal until I get good at it.
For inspiration, I *did* buy myself a cookbook.
| By the folks at 'Southern Living'... so it *has* to be good. |
I'm not particularly fond of crock pot cooking, but this cookbook comes with little meal pairing suggestions next to each recipe. Like "serve this with brown rice and sauteed spinach". And *that's* what I need. Lots of suggestions.
Because I am a meal ninny. A stoopid stoopid ninny.
Here's hoping for a delicious 2011!
Postscript:
I also vowed I would clean out all my drawers and closets this year, WHICH I'VE ALREADY DONE, so if this cooking thing fails, at least I can say I accomplished *something* in 2011.
| Any bets on how long this stays clean? |
| Organized drawers: a thing of beauty |

Something tells me that you and neighbor Susan need to put together a little cooking pow-wow! Then you share your wisdom with the blog world. Wait, do you want the blog world to share wisdom? I guess what I'm getting around to is having you two share wisdom with me. :) I have some go-to recipes for the crack pot---that's what we call ours. Don't get too excited because these are basic as basic gets but my family of 5 eats them!
ReplyDeleteYou can do it!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI also love my crock pot!! I need more recipes that don't always call for "cream of..." soups that are so high in sodium and fat. Let me know if the cookbook you got gets away from the soup base.
ReplyDeleteOh! And did you ever find out who your secret santa was???
I can really relate to this post! Just about every day, I catch the Oh-Crap-It's-4:00 bug and realize I have nothing planned for supper. I've often thought we need a website where women post what they made for supper the previous night so others can get ideas. No meals that take more than 10 ingredients or 45 minutes to make!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite side dishes are those Birds Eye veggie bags that you pop in the microwave. They have different flavors, my kids' favorite being the rice with carrots and peas. Also, Costco sells pre-made twice-baked potatoes that we eat a lot of.
When all inspiration is gone, there is always Chinese delivery! Empress of China has our credit card on file, so all I have to do is give our order and clear the table. Love them!