Monday, January 17, 2011

What to do What to do

My kids were out of school today.  Which is code for 'Mom Must Entertain Children for Hours on End with no Help from Dad Who Was Lucky Enough to Go to Work Today'.

Sigh.

I started out reading to the children.  We recently received tons (we're talking over 50) of hand-me-down books from neighbor Susan.  Today was a gray, cold, dreary day.  Perfect for staying in our pajamas and curling up in William's bottom bunk and reading story after story. 

And that lasted until 9:30am.

Then we played games.  Until 9:45am.

By 10am I was out of ideas.  At least I was out of ideas that did not involve getting dressed and leaving the house.  Because, did I mention the cold and the dreary?  Well it was!  It was so cold! So dreary! 

Stop looking at me like that!

My children spent the rest of the morning like this:

Bow down to the electronic babysitter.
To redeem myself, I made William practice reading and cutting during Paige's nap.  See?  I'm not completely awful.

Honestly, I have no idea if I'm trying to convince you or ME about the awfulness.

Thank heavens tomorrow is a school day - which means we will all be forced (FORCED!) to change out of our pajamas.

2 comments:

  1. Days like that are difficult! I let my kids pretend to shave tonight with shaving cream, the handle end of a spoon, and then they wrote their spelling lists in shaving cream on the kitchen table. They loved it! There's an idea. How about play-doh (every SAHM's nightmare), paint, making snowflakes out of coffee filters, a fort with blankets, or a dance party in the kitchen! I'm thinking since it's winter you might have a few more days to use up some of these ideas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days are simply meant for t.v. watching and nothing else. Period. My children have gotten rather good at it I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete