Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cleanup On Aisle 7

.
Lately I've been turning on the backyard sprinkler after dinner as a way of entertaining the kids during that (seemingly) long stretch of time between dinner and bed.  Tonight, we even included the neighbor kids which not only provided 5 children and 4 adults with plenty of entertainment, but also gave our parched grass a much-needed drink.

While the children squealed and splashed, we adults stood nearby visiting and drinking wine.  At one point, William came running up to us doing the Universal Urine Dance.  You know the one - lots of toe hopping and crotch squeezing.  He asked if he could JUSTTHISONCEPUHLEEEZE pee in the grass.

Why do boys love to pee outside? Just. WHY?  My daddy used to say "to a man, all the world is a urinal".

*Sigh*

I agreed, provided he find a spot AWAY from the view of the street.  And in a corner where no one would accidentally tread.  William, thrilled with this special treat, ran off to Do His Business.

And that's when neighbor Sarah reminded me of the time baby Paige peed in our grass.  Oh my GOSH, I'd forgotten.

When Paige was, oh I don't know - sixteen months old? seventeen? I forget.  She was little bitty, but walking (toddling really), and we decided in late summer to let the kids play in the sprinklers.  It was one of those on-a-whim decisions done right before bath time, so we stripped the kids down nekkid and let them play (no one can see into our backyard).  Within minutes, William (then only 5 years old) asked if he could pee in the grass.  We agreed, and he ran over to pee in the corner.

Baby Paige was MESMERIZED.  She'd clearly never seen a boy pee.  And standing up!  With no diaper!  What a concept! 

But then Will was done and they went back to splashing.  Until.  I glanced up and saw Paige standing stock still in that same corner of the yard.  Since she was soaking wet, it was hard to tell if she was peeing, but I suspected she was copying big brother.  I leaned over and pointed her out to Dave. 

And then it happened: plop plop plop.

She'd taken the whole "peeing in the back yard" to a whole new level.  You know, from *ahem* Level One to the old Level Two.

Thank God we own a pooper scooper.

2 comments:

  1. Of course, right? OF COURSE she did. Ha! Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I agree that is hilarious ! :)

    ReplyDelete