| Well hello there! |
Waaaaay back (nearly 14 years ago... back IN THE NINETIES, people!) I married my husband. And right before the wedding, Dave presented me with a simple white gold band to wear on my ring finger on days when I didn't want to wear my diamond engagement ring. The ring was exactly like *his* wedding ring, only in miniature.
I loved that ring. I loved that our hands looked the same when we wore them. I loved the inscription he carefully chose for the inside of the ring. I loved everything about it.
And then I lost it.
I know I had it during the move into our current home. I remember wearing it when we were unloading boxes from the moving van. And that's where my memory ends. It's like it just disappeared.
I searched for that ring for months - years even - but it never turned up. I was forced to finally admit defeat, and I assumed the ring was either stolen by one of the many movers and sub-contractors in the house, or that I'd managed to accidentally toss it out with the many (many) boxes and packing materials after the move.
Either way, the ring has been gone for over six years.
Until tonight.
William has been searching all day for a missing toy (Mrs. Robinson is lost! Tragedy!), and right before I tucked him in, I decided to run my hand deep inside his rocking chair in a last (futile) attempt to find his missing bird. I found the usual things: four ponytail holders, two hotwheel cars, several legos.
And my ring.
I gasped. Then I cried a little. And then I put it on my finger.
I cannot believe I never thought to check the chair before. At the time I lost the ring, I was still nursing William in that rocking chair every night. I had a habit of fiddling with my ring while I sat there rocking the baby. Why didn't I look there six years ago?
And why did I feel around in that teeny tiny space for a giant stuffed robin tonight?
I have no answer. But I'm glad I did.

OMG! AMAZING! So happy for you.
ReplyDeleteAny chance my wedding ring was hanging out in the rocking chair with yours? I'll be looking for that puppy for the rest of my life. It's amazing what you can find in the cushions!
ReplyDeleteSo amazing! I lost my pearl necklace from my beloved godfather and it was missing for months until one day I put my hands in the pockets of the rocking chair in the baby's room and there it was! I must have taken it off while nursing and completely forgot about it. So glad you found it!
ReplyDeleteMy husband lost his wedding ring years ago (we've also been married almost 14 years) and we searched everywhere for it. He thought he might have left it at the campground shower house, and we figured it was gone. Two years later, two moves later, he put his hand down in the couch to save the remote and pulled out his ring.
ReplyDeleteI love these stories.
What an excellent find! I'm so happy for you:)
ReplyDelete