Thursday, November 4, 2010

Gimpy McGimpypants

For those of you who are paying attention, I deleted my post from yesterday.  I decided my words - although heartfelt and entirely TRUE - could create repercussions not only for myself, but also for my son. 

And that will never do.

And for those of you who have no idea what blog post I'm talking about, well, sorry.  I bet you're really curious!  And you just have to stay that way.

I spent the day in my husband's tiny little hometown about 2 hours away from Oklahoma City.  The baby and I loaded up in the car first thing this morning and headed south in order to check on my sister-in-law.

Why?  Because she managed to BREAK HER ANKLE on Sunday night. 


And get THIS: she broke her ankle while hanging curtains.

I'm serious.  She's going to be in a cast for 6 weeks due to a DECORATING INJURY.

When I first heard the news, I told her to make up a better story.  I encouraged her to tell people she was hang gliding.  Over water!  SHARK INFESTED water!  Oh!  And she was DOING the hang gliding in order to SAVE some ORPHANS!  Yes!  And the orphans were in a BURNING BUILDING! 

Oh wait.  There aren't burning buildings full of orphans in the middle of the ocean.

Hmmmm.  Ok, I'll think of something else.  ANYTHING but I-was-hanging-curtains-and-stepped-wrong.  That's just lame!

Paige and I brought her books and magazines and cookies, and I did a few loads of her laundry and emptied her dishwasher.  You know, what I NORMALLY do during the day... it's just this time I was not in MY home doing MY laundry and MY dishes.


Going there today and helping her made me feel good.  And happy.  And useful. 

Besides, it's not every day you get to help someone who selflessly sacrifices her life for orphans decorates with such gusto.

3 comments:

  1. GOD is good and so are you!!! I love you R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But she sure looks cute in the photo!

    Probably right about the post yesterday. But still. Still!

    I am totally sick. I feel your pain from last week. It migrated up here to MN and now I have it. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend broke her ankle changing the battery in her smoke detector. Ouch! (Cool cast color though.)

    And on yesterday? GAH. Hammer time.

    ReplyDelete