Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Turkey Tide has Changed


Oh Internet, today was AWESOME! 

My mother-in-law and I decided weeks ago that we just did NOT have it in us to cook Thanksgiving dinner.  We're just all cooked out.  So we catered.  We catered the entire meal.  Turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, cranberry salad, and rolls.  The whole shebang.

And catering the meal meant that Pam and I actually ENJOYED our day.  We stayed in our pajamas until 11am.  By noon today we were sitting quietly enjoying a glass of wine and feeling a bit guilty about it. 


It felt so odd not to be scurrying around the kitchen (sweating!) making eleventy million recipes and worrying that it would all come out at the same time.  In fact, up to that point, the ONLY work we'd done was preheat the oven.

And an hour later we were eating. 


Oh you heard me: We went from SITTING AROUND to EATING in one hour.

An hour after THAT, the dishes were completely done, kitchen was clean, and we were sitting comfortably drinking coffee in front of the fire.

OMG it was THE BEST THANKSGIVING EVER.

Now, I'll admit the food was not as good as OUR food would have been.  And the menfolk seemed less than enthused about the whole thing.  I think they pine for our cooking.  Our "special" dishes. 


And I feel a little sad for the menfolk, because after today, WE MAY NEVER COOK AGAIN!

2 comments:

  1. I'm officially envious! We had a great meal, but it took two days of cooking. And the dishes?! Oh my, the dishes! Thank goodness for my sister's sister-in-law, who was in from out of town and guilty that she did not cook anything. She insisted on washing up. And we let her!

    ReplyDelete