Wednesday, September 14, 2011

No Worries


.
My friend Susan has had a hard life year.  The latest debacle involves her husband losing his job.  Add that to a list including things like burying both of her parents before the age of 35, and you have the makings for a sad country song.

And yet, she seems to be whistling dixie most of the time.  She would say her happy tune is mostly due to ostrich-like denial and copious amounts of white wine.

I say it's something bigger.  Susan has an incredible ability to NOT worry about things she cannot control. 

My GOD what I wouldn't give for this skill!  I routinely call her and launch into some nonsensical fretting diatribe about my children or the weather or even DEATH, and she always reminds me that I'm worrying about things I cannot control.

Well, she doesn't really say it like that.  Normally, she just says "OH MY GOD WOULD YOU LISTEN TO YOURSELF? YOU'RE BEING RIDICULOUS".

But I know what she means.  It's just no good to fret about things.

Or maybe she doesn't have to worry, because I'm doing it for her.  I worry about the strain this job loss is putting on her.  I worry her husband's career will take her to another state - far away from me, and more importantly, from her grandchild. 

I just worry.

And honestly, if MY worrying means SHE doesn't have to - well, I'm more than happy to oblige.

They don't make 'um any better than my sweet friend Susan.  They just don't.

I drove to her town (about 90 minutes away) today just so I could hug her neck.  Plus, I needed to see if she was really doing as well as she claims (It's hard to tell over the phone sometimes).

Turns out, she's just fine.  Of course she is.

She's not worried.

1 comment:

  1. That is an enviable skill, for sure -- the ability to not worry about every little thing. I do not have it, and I have tried mightily to gain it. (to no avail.)

    ReplyDelete