| . |
Mainly, I don't write about my days because lately, I just don't want to remember.
I started this blog as a way to capture the precious - and very fleeting - days with my children. My memories were fading with every new growth spurt. And I wanted to remember. I knew as I was living them that those were the best days of my life. The days with my young children.
My children are still precious. And I still want to remember them. But our lives have become complicated now. Stressed.
Our income is not what it used to be. Nothing near it. Every morning my poor husband trudges out the door and works his ass off. He works harder than he's worked in his life.
And he gets nowhere.*
*My husband just called and said he IS indeed "getting somewhere", but just not as quickly as he'd like.
He's exhausted. He's frustrated. And he's pretty freaked out. He turned 39 last month, and this is certainly NOT where he expected to be.
Meanwhile, I have taken on the task of partially homeschooling my kid. My awesome, wonderful, bright, cheerful kid. My kid with the quirks. My kid who doesn't quite fit in.
I worry every single day about him. Every single day.
And when I'm done worrying about William, I worry about Dave. About the burden he feels supporting a family of four on the income of a new career.
Some days (like today) the stress is so heavy that I can actually feel it like a weight on my chest. I find myself trying to widen my throat so that I can get more air into my compressed lungs.
We met with William's teacher today and she confirmed what I suspected - he has issues with concentration. He is always the last one to finish assignments. He just cannot focus on his work.
Also? His handwriting is lacking. He needs more practice. And yet, as hard as it is for him to stay on task, it's taking us ALL DAY just to get his homework done. And now we need to work on handwriting too?
My chest! I can't breathe!
I spend time worrying about Will, and out of nowhere my brain says "oh my God, how are we going to afford this house long term?" and I fall down that rabbit hole of fear.
My chest!
I want to run away from home. Except I want to take my people with me.
So bear with me on this here blog. I hope this will be my only downer post. I plan to only report the parts of my life that I want to remember. The funny stories. The bug infestations. The full-moon cleaning binges.
You know, the usual.

Oh honey - I am right here with you. Down to everything but the handwriting. (Have you looked at Handwriting without Tears?) I added a part-time job to the mix to help with finances and I forgot HOW STRESSFUL having a job is. Especially something I've never done before.
ReplyDeleteFeel free to stress about things if you need to - I'm sure I'm not the only one who can relate.
And if nothing else, put out the call on Twitter that we should all pick up a glass and toast to a bright future. I'll be right there!
I'm sorry stress is weighing on you today. It will get better. Deep breath.
ReplyDeleteHang in there, Rita. We're having a tough time too, but I'm trying to stay positive. Things will turn around eventually. ::hug::
ReplyDeleteI wish I had words of wisdom to share, but I don't. But I've been there. And I understand. And I'm here with hugs, cupcakes and/or wine ;)
ReplyDeleteI wish I had somethin pithy and perfect to say. Peaks and valleys and the valleys sure do suck. I'm confident that this too shall pass. Hard work will be rewarded on all accounts! That sweet darling boy of yours who has a hard time concentrating and has less than perfect handwriting is totally normal! Boys will struggle with that and he'll come around. My husband dealt with those same issues in school and now has channeled that energy into a successful career. His handwriting is still pathetic. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, Rita, believe me--I know how you feel. The past few years have been like that for me, and it manifested itself in chronic physical anxiety symptoms plus my hair falling out THREE times. (I'm on time 3 right now.) :(
ReplyDeleteIt will be OK! William will be fine. Plenty of kids have a hard time with those things when all-day school is fairly new. It will work out for him.
Hang in there, dear! I'm thinking about you.
At least you're not Gladys. Or Hank :) For the record, I had trouble concentrating, couldn't finish anything, had/have handwriting worse than a doctor's, and on and on. And then I found a profession that rewards my bouncing brain. The same will happen for Will - he won't just "make it" - he will thrive. He is so loved, and so supported, and so brilliant. Trust what you know about him.
ReplyDeleteMy story lately isn't anxiety as much as it is chaos, and running late and stressing about being late, etc. etc. and one day I was spinning in (metaphorical) circles and this phrase came into my head: "Frantic is not part of my story" - i suddenly had this vision of someone in my family many generations from now describing me (long dead), and using that word - "frantic." And it made me stop in my tracks and find a little stillness. That phrase is now on a post-it over my desk :)
Hang in there. You are also loved, supported & brilliant. Trust what you know about yourself.
Much love,
Jenny
You people? Are just the best.
ReplyDeleteA thousand kisses to every single one of you. Mwah.
Hang in there, Rita. I will admit that after my husband and I got married, he could not find a job and ended up getting a job literally DIGGING DITCHES on the side of the highway where a freeway was being put in for minimum wage. Then I got pregnant. I had also quit college. We had nowhere to live and ended up moving in with my grandmother. It was HORRIBLE.
ReplyDeleteThen when my husband was able to get a job, he taught at a community college four nights a week and then drove five days a week two hours EACH way to the only job he could get though a temp company which did not guarantee him a continued job week to week and absolutely no benefits. And all of that combined? He was making "about" minimum wage.
And it sucked. But it passed after a couple of years.
So, anyway....where was I going with this? Sorry, trying to help but didn't mean to depress you.
But really, do hang in there! And we're all here for you! *Hugs*