Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bullseye in the Dark

Last week I visited Target.  Which is what I do every week.  Sometimes more than once per week.  In fact, I think my car knows the way to Target all on its own.  I bet if I started my car and walked away, I would come back to find it missing.  It would have driven itself to Target. 

Where was I?  Oh right.  Last week. 

So last week I arrived at Target to find the interior DARKENED in the middle of the day!  Like, almost totally dark, save for a few emergency lights.  And yet, the doors were unlocked.  A hand-written sign near the entrance said that the store had lost power, BUT NO WORRIES, because the registers were still working (on a battery backup, I suppose).  So?  SHOP AWAY TARGET SHOPPERS, shop yourselves silly IN THE DARK.

So guess what I did?

I TOTALLY SHOPPED IN THE DARK!  What?  I had A LIST.  My car had already driven me there!  Plus?  Do you have any IDEA how much energy it takes to get myself AND two unwilling children out the door? 

I wasn't going home empty handed.



It turns out shopping in the dark is sort of fun in a we-might-die-here-or-in-the-very-least-stub-our-toe sort of way.

I called Susan when I got home to tell her of my Dark Target Adventure, and she told me she'd ALSO stopped at Target, but had turned to go home "because I couldn't buy ice cream and chocolate milk, so what was the point?".  Turns out Target will not allow any refrigerated items to be sold during a power loss for fear of spoilage.  Poor Susan.  She totally missed all the fun.

Or maybe I need to get a life.


2 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY would have shopped in the dark! My car knows its own way, too. I was just there yesterday. I had to drag both kids there, to the bank, AND to the supermarket--yikes. We all survived. My bank account, though, may not have been so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth: If I shopped in Target in the dark, I would undoubtedly buy 3x as much as I normally do. Because they it would be like "I can't be held accountable! There was a power outage! I don't know how these 7 maxi dresses ended up in my cart!?"

    ReplyDelete