I know. It's sort of pathetic.
No, really. Stop looking at me like that!
I read the first book way before I had children, but way after I was a child myself. I have no excuse. Other than I'm a nerd.
And here's the (even weirder) part: until recently, I'd never even READ the actual books, instead, I listened to the books on CD. Read aloud by an amazing British theater star (Jim Dale).
Hearing the books read in a British accent really DOES add to their charm.
STOP! I can feel you looking at me again. I KNOW!
Anyway, my love affair with all things J.K. Rowling led me to read the first book in the series aloud to my (almost seven year old) boy over Spring break.
I was (perhaps overly) excited to share the wizarding world with William. Honestly, I may have had an unhealthy amount of hope tied up in his opinion of the book. I wanted him to like it SO BADLY.
It all stared with William asking to see the movie, but I am such a fan of the book, that I refused to let him see the movie until he'd read the book first (because we ALL know the book is ALWAYS better than the movie. Always).
Fortunately, William's reaction to the book was just as I'd hoped. He loved it.
| That's Harry there on the screen. Can you see him? |
After seeing the movie, William turned to me and said "but they left so much of the good stuff out".
And I said "exactly". And then I think I winked (for effect).
| . |
Last week, William bought a stuffed owl with his own money and named it Hedwig. And this morning, he told me he wanted to be a wizard when he grows up.
I've created a monster. Or maybe a wizard.
Either way, SQUEEE!

That is super cute. I have never read nor watched nor listened to any of the Harry Potters. I hope we can still be friends.
ReplyDeleteSo, ummmm, did you go to the midnight launches of the Harry Potter books? I did, and then only reason I even took my nieces and nephews was for camouflage, so I wasn't the creepy grown-up dressed like a wizard with no children with me... I can't wait until Oak's ready to read them!
ReplyDeleteI, too, have been to every midnight release party. One of my son's first photos is of him, just a few weeks old, wearing a star-covered oneside and rockin' some HP glasses. You are not alone, my friend. And I welcome William to the dark side with open arms:)
ReplyDelete