Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Sparkly Sparklepants
I spent my entire day cleaning and organizing my house. (And by 'organizing', I mean 'hiding my clutter').
No, I'm not Spring Cleaning. I'm Panic Cleaning.
You see, I was having company. And inviting people into my home means that every part of the house has to be clean all at the same time.
Sadly, my house is rarely (ok, never) clean at the same time. Sometimes the bathrooms are clean. Sometimes the dust is at bay. And sometimes the floors are even clean. But never on the same day. Ever.
So, on days like today, when I'm forced to clean it all at once, I really do like it. It's nice to have a shiny, sparkly house.
I wonder, does everyone clean like me? In a sort of never-ending rotation. Or do you set aside a day where you just whip the whole thing into shape?
I wonder if I should do that. Maybe it would be easier in the long run.
Or maybe I just need maid.
And while I'm dreaming, maybe a masseuse, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh no no no no no--do not change your system. I have a whole chapter in my book about cleaning on a schedule! (i.e., bathrooms on Monday, dusting on Tuesday, sweeping/vacuuming on Wednesday--that sort of thing.) It's way better than doing it all on one day. That's b/c who wants to spend an entire day cleaning? Which is what you have to do if you let it all go until that one day--it takes HOURS! YUCK! And secondly, b/c if you do a little each day, your house is always MOSTLY clean--something is always getting cleaned, each day, so nothing ever really gets terrible--and you only have to spend, like 20-30 minutes a day doing it! Plus, I personally think that by doing it this way, your house is always pretty much ready for unexpected company. I mean, it may not sparkle in every corner on every day, but it's generally maintained, and no one will notice every corner. See?! You're doing it right! And so am I! :)
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I started following your blog a few weeks ago...maybe even a month ago even....but I have to say, you are my new favorite read! You crack me up!
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to your cleaning method. I try to do a little daily but every room in the house is rarely clean at the same time. Unless we are having a party or company then it takes me hours to clean....and I HATE it. I do clean my kitchen daily though...I can't sleep if I have a dirty kitchen.
That's exactly how I clean. I am currently planning to panic clean this weekend because I agreed to host book club next week. Not sure what I was thinking . . . all those women in my house. Maybe we can discuss the book by candlelight. Everything looks better by candlelight, right?
ReplyDeleteHahah Julie.... I had a babysitter the other night and looked in horror at my stair carpet just before she turned up. It had been muddy and the cats had tracked general grime around, and i havent gotten round to shampooig it yet. So I turned the lights off, put a dimmer on the light upstairs, turned it waaaay down, and said 'the kids need it dark'. Stairs were nicely in shadow, problem solved ;)
ReplyDelete*Ahem*.
Never mind the fact we could put full bore studio lights on and a 16piece jazz band in my daughter's room and she wouldn't wake up. You think I exaggerate? Seriously, last December she fell asleep at a concert attended by 150+ people, a 6-piece rock band and 16piece swing band to back them up. And disco lights. :)