Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dear Paige

Dear Paige -

You came downstairs this morning tousle-haired and pajama clad wearing one high-heeled shoe and one bunny slipper.


You simply couldn't decide which to wear, so you wore both.

And last Friday you wandered into the kitchen carrying not one, but THREE purses and a magic wand.  You dictated a grocery list to me (pasta, sauce, macaroni, suckers), then tucked it neatly into (one of) your purses and announced you were off to Homeland. 


Then you walked out the back door.  With your wand.  And your purses.  And your list.

I stood there watching you out the window wondering if I should call Homeland and tell them to expect a demanding three year old.  I wouldn't put it past you to walk all the way there. 

I find myself a bit intimidated about parenting you.  You are the little girl I wish I'd been.  You do not worry.  You do not hesitate.  You dive right in to everything. 

I love this about you, but I wonder what sort of example I can possibly set for you.  I'm a look-before-you-leap sort of person.  You?  Not so much. 

How will I parent someone so different from me?

You are such a girly girl. 

You insist on wearing princess dresses and fairy wings on most occasions.  Which is odd, as you have not watched any princess movies.  Or fairy movies for that matter.  Is this whole princess thing just seeping into you through, what, the water?  Or perhaps is it the very air you breathe?



The other day you wore your princess dress WHILE fighting your brother's friends with a light saber.  You had to halt the battle TO STRAIGHTEN YOUR TIARA.

And what's amazing is, those boys WAITED on you. 

I hope this is a metaphor for your life.

I cannot wait to see what you become.  My little sword-wielding tiara-wearing girl. 

Love,
Momma

1 comment: