Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Snuggle Bunny

Last weekend I held a newborn baby.  I mean *really* newborn.  Like, hours old.  When I took his little body into my arms I swear to you I spontaneously began lactating again (fully two years after Paige stopped nursing).  My gosh, the POWER of a newborn baby on the old Mommy Hormones.   I was weak in the knees.

And then he started to cry and all of a sudden my knees got a whole lot LESS weak and I handed him straight back to his mother.  And I skipped back home to my own children.  My big children who do not pee in their own pants.  And can get themselves a drink of water when they need one.  And? THEY SLEEP. All night.  Every single night.

I love having big kids. 

I also dread teenagers.  But *that's* a whole 'nuther' blog post.

I came home from holding that newborn baby and gushed to Dave about the whole experience.  I described his wee little nose and his paper-thin fingernails half the size of peas.  Ugh.  So SWEET Icannotstandit!

I expected Dave to get that terrified look in his eyes and REFUSE to even discuss any more babies.  But, apparently, he knows that we're on the same page about the whole baby thing (we're SOOOOO done).  Instead, he said "get in here and look at THIS".

I obeyed, following his line of vision outside to our sidewalk where there sat, crouched in a corner, a newborn baby BUNNY.

It was a bit bigger than a chicken egg.

Now THIS is my kind of cute.  I caught that bunny, pet it, and sent it right back outside to its momma.

Just like that newborn baby.

Which is as it should be.  Because I am SOOO done. 

Did I already say that?  Well, IT BEARS REPEATING.


ps. Don't worry, I consulted both my mother AND Google before handling that bunny.  He (or she?) was big enough to be out foraging on our lawn, and therefore old enough that its mother would not reject it in the nest if it were handled by a human. 

1 comment:

  1. I SO understand your reaction. We are totally done, too, and I don't have even a shred of wishing it otherwise when I think about colic, night nursing, diapers, sleep training, ETC.!

    ReplyDelete