Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fun? What is *That*?

William is starting first grade in a few weeks at a new school.  And we aren't the only new kids.  In fact, this particular school has existed for many many years at another location, but will be expanding by opening a second campus in North Oklahoma City (closer to me).  So in some sense, all of the parents and students feel like "pioneers" at this new campus. 

And in the pioneer spirit, some of the "veteran" moms (those whose kids attended school at the old campus last year) have arranged several play groups so that we newbies can get acquainted.  It's very sweet.

We attended our first play group today at a local historical museum.  There were replicas of indian tee pees, life-sized plastic horses laden with pioneer gear, and a whole miniature frontier town square complete with general store, bank, and jail house.

Hey Paige? Jailbirds don't cry.

While the kids ran about trying on pioneer bonnets and cowboy hats we mothers sat nearby chatting (and in my case, hoping desperately that none of those bonnets or hats had been worn recently by someone with LICE - because we all know how I feel about that).  At one point, a "veteran" mother turned to me and asked (quite innocently) "So, Rita, what do you like to do for fun?"

I just stared at her.  Blinking.

My gosh, I have NO IDEA what I like to do for fun.  NO IDEA.  But what kind of person cannot think of ONE FREAKING THING they like to do for fun?  Huh? 

I cast around wildly in my mind trying to think of SOMETHING.  ANYTHING.

I mean, I enjoy eating.  Does that count? Man oh MAN eating is fuuuuuuun.   I realize many women would say "I love to cook", and to them I would say "good, because I love to EAT, we are a PERFECT TEAM YOU AND I!".

And I like to read.  But I haven't actually read very many books lately because, you know, I read BLOGS and TWITTER and FACEBOOK (Which do not count as reading. No they do not.).

I finally gave up, shrugged my shoulders and said I didn't have time for fun because I spend my life wiping bottoms and folding laundry.  I said it in a joking way.  As joking as a PATHETIC, FUN-LESS person can be.

Bless her heart, she tried to laugh, but I have a feeling she's going to say an extra prayer for me tonight.  For that poor woman who cannot remember what fun is.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I can't wait to hear more! Also, you forgot to mention your semi-professional water skiing hobby!! (And one of these days I'm going to write about the neurotic episode your lice post set off... it's funny now.)

    Hope the new school is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, hilarious. :) I know what you mean. I have things I can genuinely say (running--oh, except guess what, haven't been able to do that in nearly 3 months, too bad), cooking and baking (and of COURSE eating!). But if I were being really honest I'd also have to say, "Watching So You Think You Can Dance and Friday Night Lights religiously" and then she'd think I was a lame-o who just watched TV in her free time. (WHAT free time?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. give me a break....have her call me. you like to waterski, you like to decorate, you like to spend time with your good girlfriends, you like to entertain.....should I go on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You learned to ski!!! What more fun can you have than that? Rita you don't HAVE fun... you ARE fun girl. Tell them THAT next time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete