Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hair Brained Idea

The entire episode I'm about to describe to you occurred for two reasons:
  1. My husband started a new career a year ago and our budget is, what is the word? Oh yes, I remember, TIGHT.
  2. My hair has spent so much time in the pool and the sun that it has begun to look blonde.  Which will never do, as we all know I'm a redhead.  And I have the temper to prove it.  And the freckles.
So in light of our budget constraints, I have done nothing about the color of my hair.  Even though it's driving me crazy that it's so dull and dry and BLONDE.  And I've done nothing mainly because I think (thought) that the coloring of hair should ONLY be done in the salon by a professional.

I mean, we wouldn't perform BRAIN SURGERY at HOME using a KIT from TARGET, now would we? 

Of course not.  We'd leave it to the professionals.  And yes, I'm implying that hair coloring and brain surgery are on the same level.  What's your point?

But after weeks of hair dissatisfaction, I finally tiptoed into Sally Beauty Supply thinking I'd just ASK (what's the harm in ASKING?) about at-home hair coloring.  They seemed knowledgeable.  They steered me away from a bright orange shade I was fingering toward one that was only one shade brighter than my current color.

And so I bought it.  OMG! I couldn't believe what I'd done! I bought at-home hair color! 

The total purchase price (for color and a plastic bottle and gloves and a shower cap) was $14.73.  My salon charges something around $150 for a professional coloring (and rightfully so, seeing as they are PROFESSIONALS and all).  But still, that's a $135 savings!

Next I called  my mother and begged her to come and perform at-home brain surgery apply the color for me.  She gulped audibly, and then agreed.

Is there any limit to the things mothers will do for their children? 

After spending an entire morning sitting in a chair and praying to the beauty gods, I emerged with, well, here, I'll just show you:


Yep.  My hair is exactly pretty much the same color.*

Turns out my original hair color is Golden Copper #742.  Exactly.

At least I only paid $14.73 to learn this lesson.



*In all fairness, it is a bit redder around my face (which is where it had lightened significantly).  Baby steps, people.  Baby steps.

3 comments:

  1. OK, first of all, I hear you sister, I always ALWAYS get my color done at the salon, where I routinely bankrupt myself to my wonderful stylist Shauna, to whom I am devoted for life. I would no more consider doing my own highlights than I would consider camping outside in Alaska. Which is to say, not at all. AND, all I get is partial highlights to brighten up my natural blonde! I don't even do anything dramatic! But still. I'm NOT doing it at home. No way.

    Second, is it OK if I laugh just for a minute that you call your hair "getting blonde"? I'm sorry, I just need to chuckle once. Seeing as how I am of Scandinavian descent, and I am Minnesotan, and here, I am blonde, and my daughters are blonde, and those actresses and models with hair the color of caramel or coffee with cream but who call themselves -- or are called -- "blonde" are known as BRUNETTES. So, to me, you have gorgeous, deep, dark auburn-red hair. In both photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (p.s. your hair looks great and you have a very nice mom.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it was a cheap lesson! But you know this just means you have to go a shade darker and try again :)

    I must admit, the requirement of me to pay for hair cuts and color might be the biggest reason I'm angry at my mom (the hairdresser) for dying 9 years ago. She didn't leave me nearly enough inheritance to pay for all this upkeep!

    ReplyDelete