Monday, August 22, 2011

The First Day of the Rest of Our Lives


The obligatory First Day of School photo.
Today was William's first day of first grade.  It was also the first day for Paige to attend Mother's Day Out since mid July. And in case you're counting, that's FIVE WEEKS I've been with these children nonstop, uninterrupted.  Not that I'm counting (OH PLEASE I AM TOTALLY COUNTING).  And before I get into what it was like to take William to his school this morning, and how he did today, let's talk about ME.

What? It's MY blog isn't it?

Today was SO AWESOME.  My to-do list? DONE.  Booyah!   All those Little Things that have been piling up over the summer, those things I worried about, all of them, are DONE in the space of ONE DAY.

It's amazing how much easier it is to accomplish things when you're not refereeing fights, searching for kid shoes so that you can leave the house (why is it so hard to just PUT THE SHOES WHERE THEY BELONG? Huh? WHYYYEEEE?), or buckling car seats.  I swear to you, I could have solved the national debt crisis today.  I was that focused and efficient.

But back to William.  When he got into the car after school, he said he liked his teacher.  He even said he made a friend!  Best of all, he said his day was "great".  Not just "good", but "great"!  He did, however, lodge a small complaint.  Apparently, they did "only one fun thing today"... and that was recess.  "The rest of the time we just had to WORK and LEARN". 

My goodness! What kind of school is this where children are expected to do things like WORK and LEARN?  It's an outrage!

No comments:

Post a Comment