Monday, August 29, 2011

What's Your Sign?


.
My kid went to school today to learn (among other things) how to sing a song IN MANDARIN, and then he memorized all seven continents and the four major oceans. 

Which means that my child - my FIRST GRADER - is already smarter than me.

Before school started, I took a class sponsored by the school which showed us neophytes parents how to properly instruct our children.  One of the things they suggested was to teach our children the sign language alphabet as an aide in learning the 'single letter phonograms'.  In fact, all of the students at this school know ASL and the corresponding letter names/sounds by the time they finish kindergarten

So what I'm saying is: EVEN THE KINDERGARTNERS AT THIS SCHOOL ARE SMARTER THAN ME.

I worried that William would be behind since he didn't attend this school in kindergarten.  I mean HE didn't know sign language.  So I found an ASL guide in one of my books and thought I'd just try to teach him a few letters per week. 

Yeah.  He and Paige learned the entire alphabet IN ONE DAY.

Children's brains are amazing sponges.  Mine? Mine is like a sad sad dried up sponge.  A stinky, moldy, dried up sponge.  It's taken me an entire week to learn the ASL alphabet (after reviewing them a zillion times while peeking at my cheat sheet).

And I bet I'll forget them all by next week.

*Sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment