Monday, December 5, 2011

Honest Mistake

This kid is 3 1/2 today.  How did THAT happen?

So pick Paige up from Mother's Day Out today and  - as is our usual practice -  we drove home discussing her day.  We typically start this conversation off with a rundown of Those Who Were Bad and end with a listing of Those Who Are My New Best Friends.  Somewhere in between we also discuss (in minute detail) All Things Eaten During the Day.

This conversation is riveting, as you might imagine.

As we were going through Those Who Were Bad, Paige mentioned a new name.  "Anna".  Anna, apparently, made the "bad" list because "she always looks so angry".  Then Paige demonstrated Anna's angry face by putting her palm on her forehead and puuuuuushing it downward so as to squish her eyes into tiny slits.

And that's when I realized she was referring to the (very well-mannered and not-at-all-angry) ASIAN GIRL in her class.

Holy Mary and all the wise men I'm raising a RACIST!

I quickly explained that Anna's parent/parents are most likely from another country, and in that far away country ALL of the people have eyes shaped like Anna's.  That God made her that way! 

Paige's response: "Well God sure did make those people look angry".

*Sigh*

Moments later, Paige asks if she can sing me a song she learned in school.  A song about a baby born in a bathtub.

Wha?

Well, it turns out the baby is JESUS. And the bathtub? BATHleham.

Folks, some days I don't know whether to laugh or cry.



2 comments:

  1. I'm laughing because my Genevieve is the same way. She has had very odd reactions to people of other ethnicities, and I'm talking since toddlerhood, so it's not like we taught her anything like that! It's true our town is mostly white, but still! Good grief! We DO have a sizable Hispanic population and there are also immigrants from Africa and Asia here and professors from other countries who teach at the two colleges. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete