Thursday, August 23, 2012

Runners are STILL Stupid and Dumb

"oh what a beautiful mooooooorning"


Ok, listen, I wrote a while back about how I thought runners were stupid and dumb.  WHICH THEY ARE.  Why would you intentionally RUN and SWEAT and GET OFF THE COUCH if you didn't have to? 

And yet.

I started running right after my birthday in July.  Then Susan somehow (through voodoo magic, I think) talked me into running IN A RACE at the end of September.  Which was EVIL and also brilliant because now I can't QUIT, because then I would look STUPID at the race.

Well played, Susan.  Well played.

And here's what's happened: Sometimes? (just sometimes, mind you) I actually LOOK FORWARD to my run. Which is UTTERLY INSANE.  Because I have to 1) set my alarm and get out of my warm ,soft bed 2) wear clothes that make me look dumb 3) sweat and 4) ache for the rest of the day.  Why would I look forward to that?  WHY?

I have no answer.  No idea.

I *do* enjoy seeing the sunrise.  That's nice.  But I could do *that* while sitting on my patio drinking my coffee.  Under a blanket.  With my feet up. 

And I really love seeing all of the little animals in my neighborhood.  We live on a golf course, so there are zillions of bunnies, and ducks, and I saw a fox once.  But honestly, I could google "bunnies/foxes/ducks" and get all the youtube videos I could stand FROM MY BED.

So what I'm trying to say is: I have, PURELY BY ACCIDENT, started to SOMETIMES enjoy running.  And I don't know why.

What's happening to me? Help!

2 comments:

  1. This post warms the cockles of my stupid, runner heart. :)

    I dare say you are discovering the joys of brain chemicals. As a runner, a psychologist, and someone who has always experienced very dramatic biological aspects of mood (for example: I use an artificial-light box every day in the fall/winter and it has changed my life!), I fully believe that for at least some of us, the neurochemical action that goes on during/after a run is as real and noticeable as taking a drug. Long live dopamine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The runner's high is totally real. I too got to where I loved to go for a run (from time to time. Let's not get extreme here).

    ReplyDelete