You see, last week Dave claims he coughed so violently that he broke his rib. I'm serious. The man thinks you can break your rib by coughing.
And I'm not going to lie to you Internet, I didn't believe him. In fact, I might have rolled my eyes when he told me about his broken rib. I might have rolled my eyes so far back in my head that I could see my own hair growing.
But then, I checked on Google, and it turns out that you CAN indeed crack a rib from coughing.
So there. I stand corrected.
And since the coughing today at 3am was irritating his self-diagnosed rib fracture, I decided that I would remove myself from the situation by stumbling up the stairs and crawling into my 5 year old's lower bunk. That way Dave could cough and wince in peace.
And I stayed there freezing (not enough blankets - too tired to get more) in that little boy bed until 6am when the baby woke up.
Yes. I said SIX! A!M!
So, at 6am the baby and I curled up in our upstairs playroom and tried to be quiet and let Daddy and William sleep in a bit. As we sat quietly reading books and listening to the local news, I began to hear reports about the weather.
Now, let me back up at bit here and explain: Oklahoma weathermen are notoriously DRAMA MAMAS. Ev. Ree. Thing is exaggerated. If they say there's going to be a Massive Thunderstorm, we will see an inch of precipitation and perhaps one tiny flash of lightening. If they say there will be a tornado, that actually means a strong breeze will blow a few leaves off of the trees.
So, we never believe them. They spend their entire careers Crying Wolf. So we Oklahomans don't believe the weathermen. Ever.
So back to today. When I heard the weatherman say something about 4-6 INCH snow accumulation in Oklahoma City, I openly SCOFFED. Then I rolled my eyes again. This time so far back I could see my own brain.
Then I called my momma - who lives 40 minutes South of my house - and told her Christmas was ON. We're coming! Put that turkey in the oven because we'll be there.
Dave even got in the car and did a little test drive around the neighborhood, then came back in and said "it's all FINE - tell your mother we're coming".
.
You have got to be kidding!
And then I thought I heard him say there was a Blizzard Warning. Which would be ridiculous, because Oklahoma doesn't have Blizzard Warnings. Ever. Never Ever. And so, for the third time, I rolled my eyes. Oh Puh Leeeeease.
Then I turned on the tv, and saw this:
While the cake was baking, we decided we'd let the children go ahead and open their Christmas presents. What the heck, right? We wanted them to have something to do, and what better to entertain them than Brand! New! Presents! Plus, gift opening will cure all grownups of The Grumples!
Except, we made the mistake of telling the children before we'd done all the Opening Preparations.
Whoops!
First, we had to gather all the necessary tools for opening gifts.
Those of you who are parents of young children will understand this. Kids toys are packaged in such a way that you need a PhD and the ability to bench press 350lbs in order to open them. There are wires. And tape. And complicated, multi-level cardboard contraptions. It's maddening for both the parent and the anxious child.
But first, let's have some video of the BLIZZARD, because OMG!
Alrighty kids! Let the opening begin!
Hooray! We didn't have nearly enough STUFF.
Approximately 16 seconds after it started, the gift opening ended.
And then the kids played with their new toys for another 19 seconds.
And then they were bored again.
And Dave was grumpy again.
So, I decided to make a delicious meal. Pasta! With chicken! And garlic! And Cheese! One of Dave's favorite meals. And a meal our kids will happily eat. Win/Win, right!?
Then there will be cake! Chocolate cake. That will make everything better!
Except it didn't.
So, I put everyone in their pajamas. (Cute ones. The kind that will look good in pictures tomorrow.) And I let them watch a short movie. And then I put them to bed.
Then I put myself to bed.
Because it's exhausting trying to force everyone else to have a Merry Christmas.
Plus, I needed to give my eyes a chance to recuperate from all the rolling.


No comments:
Post a Comment