Monday, April 12, 2010

Barking Orders

I was in a crummy mood today. 

I was down on myself.  That little voice in my head wasn't... well... it wasn't a very kind voice today.

The Voice said: What's the matter with you?  You're a 35 year old mother of two, you have no business wearing braided pigtails.

You look ridiculous.

And when I managed to buckle the baby's chin INTO THE CARSEAT BUCKLE.  (OHMYGAH doesn't that make your hiney cringe?) Ouch.



Cue voice-in-head: What kind of mother ARE you?

And at lunch with Will, I realized I was feeding him a cheeseburger.  AND HE HAD PIZZA FOR DINNER LAST NIGHT!

Voice: I'll bet his little 5 year old arteries are already clogging.  He'll have YOU to thank for his cardiovascular disease.

My inner voice was sort of bitchy today.

And I let it get the best of me.  At least until I saw this:

Yes.  I saw the twisted, gnarled bark of a tree.

Just a tree.  That's all it took to quiet that voice in my head.

I suppose I should explain.

Oh my goodness, I have a thing about trees.

Trees feel like a little whisper from God to me.  A peaceful message from heaven. 

And oh how I needed that little whisper today!


Yes.  I'll take a whisper from God over that rude voice in my head any day.

3 comments:

  1. I like the braided pigtails! I am a friend of your brothers and he is always talking about what a great mom/person you are! :)
    I have really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trees definitely have a way of speaking to us. From one fellow tree lover to another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you through your neighbor's blog--Friday Playdate. I wear braided pigtails when I run. It's fine and I'm just slightly older than you so I declare the style A-OK! :) I hear that voice sometimes and gazing at nature definitely brings me back to center. I'm sorry to read that your dear family member is moving far away.

    ReplyDelete