Friday, December 10, 2010

Cough Relief

Baby Paige has developed a cough.  Again.

OMG with the coughing.  Coughing is the soundtrack of my life.  Since early September it's all I've heard.  Someone in my family has been coughing for nearly FOUR FREAKING MONTHS.

The cough, based on my extensive zero years of medical training, is due to post-nasal drip.  Her nose is runny.  And the runny nose is causing her to cough.  Simple enough, right?

So I called the pediatrician this morning, not to obtain an appointment, but to simply ask what would be the best medicine to give my 2 1/2 year old for coughing.  Specifically, coughing at night.  My poor girl coughed LITERALLY every minute of the night last night.  She was exhausted.  Her mother was exhausted. 

And would you like to know what the kind nurse suggested for a severe un-ending cough?


Karo Corn Syrup. 

No, I will not shut up.  I'm serious! 

She suggested a whole teaspoon full of nothing "syrup" to "coat her throat" and prevent coughing.

And here's why:  The FDA has recommended that ALL cough medicine be removed from the market for children UNDER THE AGE OF FOUR.  Why?  Because some stupid-ass parents were overdosing their kids by giving multi-symptom cough/cold medications either too often, or in combination with other multi-symptom medicines.  So, to protect us FROM OURSELVES the FDA simply REMOVED cough medicines as an option for all humans under the age of four.  If you're under four, you can just cough yourself silly. 

Which brings us back to Karo Syrup.  That's ALL the nurse could legally recommend to me today.  Syrup.

OMGAREYOUKIDDINGME?

So tell me, wise Internet, what have YOU used for your young children with a horrible cough?  So far, I've used Benadryl to dry her out (contrary to the advice of the nurse today - who said Benadryl is now ALSO on the "naughty" list), a humidifier, and Vick's Vaporub, all with only mild success.

What would you recommend?  I'm one desperate momma over here.

10 comments:

  1. You didn't hear it from me, but Delsym at bedtime might be something I would consider...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the Benadryl was my first thought, so continue that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hhhmmmm...I've heard of honey before to sooth a cough. Maybe the Corn Counsel has gotten to her.

    Alegra is available in a children's formula. This should dry her up if it really is caused by sinus dripping. My son didn't like the taste of it though.

    Delsym works on the cough. I used Benadryl on my kids and they turned out o.k.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Delsym. But be careful when you purchase it because one is okay for kids and the other is not, but it's not made that clear on the box - read the dosing info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I err umm we use OTC medicine for kids and totally ignore the screaming on the side of the package that says NO NO NO never use on your kids aged 10 or younger. We have tried a number of cough medicine and all seem to help them and us sleep for a few hours. We just use a lower dosage then recommended or their weight as a parameters. Hope the coughing gets better and you are alone. Our house has been one big coughing extravaganza (I cannot be sure I spelled that correctly but I am tired and it is late so forgive me?!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do Vicks on the feet and Delsym also. Oh and btw corn syrup or honey DO NOTHING in my experience. Also? I am so sympathetic to you. 3 out of 4 of us have been sick for over 2 months here and it's mostly BEEN ME. Ugh! Miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get a Rx for Carbatuss. It's the wonder drug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this as Ev is developing a cough which I cannot yet determine whether its origin is his asthma or if he is getting sick. We are about to do a breathing treatment. However, I know you don't have that. I have always been told, and have seen it work miracles, to give a very warm bath and then take the child outside. Something about the change in temperature. When we were in Iowa and Everett stopped breathing due to an asthmatic coughing fit... taking him outside is what gave him relief because it was cool. I truly believe the cool outdoor air is what got us to the hospital. It is worth a shot. Try the soothing vapor bath as well. It's good stuff.

    Good luck my friend. We have been haunted by Everett's coughing fits for years. I am so sorry. Praise God he is growing out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Rita, wanna see something that will really knock your socks off? Or curl your toes? Or make your hair stand on end? Or something? Check my blog for snowstorm photos. Life in Minnesota, holla! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicks and then socks and honey before bed. Seriously...its works.

    ReplyDelete