Quick! Internet! Tell me, what is the gift-giving etiquette when someone buys you a gift and you haven't bought them anything?
Also? Could you tell me why this ALWAYS happens? Every year? WHYYYYY?
Dave's business partner, and sort of the "head dude" at his office, presented Dave (privately) with a gift yesterday. The gift was wrapped - but NOT in Christmas paper - instead it looked like the sort of gift you'd take to a wedding. Black and white plaid paper with big white bow.
And when this business partner gave Dave the gift he said "I don't usually exchange gifts with the other partners, but my wife found this for you. We wanted you to have a wedding gift since we weren't there for your wedding".
We got married in the fall of 1997. Thirteen years ago.
When Dave conveyed all this to me, I'll admit, I was nonplussed. Was the partner joking? Was this a joke? Or, is it that - after enjoying each other last weekend at the Christmas party - this wife genuinely wanted to get us something? I'M SO CONFUSED!
And, let's all bear in mind that MEN handled this exchange. Meaning: there could have been all SORTS of things lost in translation.
And here's the kicker: the gift was a BEAUTIFUL full-sized CASHMERE throw. It's gorgeous. It's LOVELY. I cannot WAIT to curl up in it. And let me also say that this mans wife is equally as LOVELY. I really enjoy her company.
So there. That's the whole story. Now tell me, what should I do? Mail a note thanking her (them) for this fantastic gift that I will most likely use every day, or dash out this morning and select something for Dave to present to his partner this afternoon.
But won't that be SO obvious? Or, does it even MATTER that it's obvious so long as the gift is reciprocated?
Hellllllp!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is really, really weird. I mean, nice and generous, but weird. Esp. the whole conversation about your wedding. Srsly: weird!!!
ReplyDeleteI would not reciprocate. Or, if I did, it would be w/something that very obviously could never match up to the first gift (and trying would be so obvious) but would also just be a nice social gesture, like inviting them to a nice dinner out (I know, we never do stuff like that, but maybe you do) or giving them a nice (very nice!) bottle of wine....in a few days. Probably not right away or they may be embarrassed, worried you felt you HAD to rush out and buy them something. But honestly....this is really weird. Super nice. But weird.
A thank you note...and maybe leave it at that? I like the idea of dinner together, but who knows what the dynamic is between everyone. My boss used to do the same thing. At least he did it every year so I could be somewhat prepared. But the man's salary was 10X mine; no way the gifts could be "even".
ReplyDeleteI would give them a nice note and a bottle of wine and call it a day.
ReplyDeleteI agree; a nice note and a bottle of wine or champagne to celebrate a new friendship or celebrate their new year?
ReplyDeleteI'd go with a nice, gracious note.
ReplyDeleteA note, just a note.
ReplyDelete