Monday, July 20, 2009

Vacation Amnesia

Vacations are hard. Hard for me, anyway.

First, there's all the work that goes into getting ready to leave. There's the laundry. Then packing. Oh lordy the packing. It was hard enough to pack for myself. Now there's the added stress of packing for the children. And children require more than just clothes and shoes. They need things like books, and hand-held video games, and DVD players.

Oh, and don't forget the snacks. Dang, and then don't forget to go by the bank and get cash for the trip. OH OH and don't forget to update the wills in case we die. Oh dear, and THEN pay all the Bills so that nothing is past due when I return.

After all that, there's the cleaning. Yes, I clean my entire house AND car before I leave on vacation. All of this is done in case I die while I'm on vacation. You heard me. That way, in the event that I expire whilst on vacation and my mother must come to my home to Get My Affairs in Order, she'll believe she raised me right. She'll believe my house is always this clean. When in reality, you could write your name in the dust on my coffee table most days.

Still, I do all this work in hopes of going away and making some lovely memories for myself.

Memories like these:


This is William and his Papa Ron. They are inseparable. Mom and I truly believe this is due to the fact that they are roughly the same age on the inside. I hope no one tells this man he's really sixty-seven.

And then there's this:
My baby brother playing with my baby girl. Oh, hold on a second...

*weeping*

Ok, sorry, *sniff* I'm back.
.
Here's my mother and baby Aiden. The cutest nephew on the planet. Period.

And finally, this one is for the record books:

That's Aiden's momma, Mihn. She's deathly afraid of the water. She can't swim. Period. Yet, she worked up the courage to go tubing with my mom. Talk about a trouper.
.
Yes, these are such sweet memories. And I'll be thinking about these scenes as I begin the Twenty-Four-Hour-Unpack-&-Re-settle Campaign.
.
And I'll try not to focus on this part of the trip:
The part where everyone else is busy enjoying themselves while I am changing a diaper. On the ground. In public. WHILE WEARING A WHITE SKIRT.
.
Oh how I love to travel.




3 comments:

  1. I am sooo glad you blogged about this. Why you ask?? B/c when we are old and traveling with our grandchildren, we can read this together and remind one another of the days with young children! Esp. the changing diaper parts, preparing for the trip and cleaning the whole house parts... ;)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one out there crazy enough to clean the house before we leave and when we get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see you! Can the boys still play Thursday or does that not work? Anyway, I am giggling reading this as last night, after the ER incident, I laid in bed and heard Avery, next to me poop. I had to change her diaper by the light of my blackberry. Home sounds kind of good right now.

    ReplyDelete