Big deal.
In my world, we buried a different person today. My Grandma Alice.
Grandma Alice never once did the moonwalk. She did, however, use a walk-er. But that's not really the same. And Grandma Alice, on occasion, wore TWO white gloves. But neither of them was ever sparkly. Michael and Grandma both had very white skin. But Grandma Alice was born that way.
Yet, for the rest of my life, when I see or hear anything about Micheal Jackson I will immediately think of my Grandma. I'm not sure how she'd feel about this. Now that I think about it, she DID own a jacket with quite a lot of zippers. Hmmmm.
Today was a tough day all the way around. On top of a very sad funeral, I also took baby Paige for her 1 year checkup. The checkup included shots. Three of them. She was an excellent patient. But still. Three shots. Bummer.
After the baby's appointment, I (1) fed boy and self, (2) showered self, (3) bopped cranky baby on hip. 67 times, (4) met new babysitter and gave tour of house, gave overview of baby schedule, and gave subtle warning to not kill baby, (5) drove boy to friends house to swim while mommy buried/mourned. All of this occurred in 1 hour and 15 minutes. Yes it did. I know. I amaze even myself. I even showed up to the funeral with matching shoes. AND I was wearing both earrings. Folks, "Motherhood" should be an Olympic sport.
This evening, Dave came home from work to find me curled up in the chair with a sleeping baby in my arms. He suggested we go out to eat dinner. Probably because the kitchen was suspiciously empty of anything resembling food. That, and I think I looked like I could use a margarita.
So, we loaded the kids up in the stroller and walked to a nearby Mexican food restaurant. Dinner was awesome.
First, William COLORED. Let me say it again: HE COLORED.
This might be the first time in his life he's decided to color on his own. No bribing or begging. He just colored. This is serious. I've said it before: aliens have taken my boy and left a cyborg in his place. And mommy loves her new cyborg.
Next, Paige thought it would be excellent to play Peek A Boo with herself.
This would have been mildly cute, except that every time she did it, THIS was her reaction:
.
This went on for quite some time.
.
Which was fine with me. Because, mommy had a hard day saying goodbye to Michael Jackson *damn!* No! I mean Grandma Alice. See?! I'll be doing this the rest of my life.
.
Sorry Grandma. You know I loved you. If you see Michael up there, tell him he stole your thunder. And tell him that was just rude.


I'm glad your long day ended on a good note. Who knew Grandma Alice had such close connections with MJ? Right after college, one of our classmates was killed in a car accident the same day Princess Diana died. Anytime I see a story on her now, I think of him. It will be the same for me, MJ, and your special grandmother I never knew!
ReplyDeleteLoved the comment about Grandma Alice's skin "being born that way." Too funny, but always sad to lose a loved one. And you are soooooo correct, motherhood should definitely be an Olympic sport--unfortunately they wouldn't have enough medals to hand out!
ReplyDelete