Thursday, July 30, 2009

Nothing Says Happy Birthday Like Clothespins

Twelve years ago I was a teeny tiny itty bitty newborn baby. Well, I was. Just look at me:


I was twenty three. TWENTY THREE. Like I said. A baby.

My nephew was also a tiny baby back then. An actual tiny baby. He was 6 weeks old. His grandmother came to the wedding to hold him while his mother and father (Dave's brother and sister-in-law) served in the wedding party.

Today, this tiny baby turned TWELVE.

How can this be? It's not possible.

I was all ready to buy him some booties and a baby rattle. But, he wanted things like this:

OU football tickets. He also received cash, a duffel bag, and some sort of athletic gear. This is not the kind of thing you'd expect at a birthday party for a tiny baby.

Oh wait. He's twelve.

We all celebrated Jeffrey's birthday today at the lake. And since my sister-in-law and her family are camping, they didn't have things like birthday candles.

Hey, I was impressed she pulled off a cake.

No. They didn't have candles. But my MacGyver-like brother-in-law just lit some wooden clothespins on fire instead.

Doesn't Jeffrey look a thrilled. "Uh, thanks a whole lot there, mom and dad".

I still can't believe this child is twelve. TWELVE, people!

And it's so hard to believe because his mother and I haven't aged a single day. I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment