Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Does God have Germs?

I've had people beg me to start a blog about all of the funny things that come out of my boy's mouth. Which is ironic, since practically nothing came out of his mouth at all until after the age of two. At which time, and after MANY hours of speech therapy, at the age of 26 months, he decided to just start talking. In sentences. His first words were acrobat and caterpillar. Seriously. I'm not joking. The speech therapist said it was the most impressive case of perfectionism she'd ever seen. He simply would NOT speak until he knew he could do it right.

Once he started talking, I was agog at the way his brain worked. The things he asks about. Tonight during his bath he asked "does God have germs?". How does a parent even begin to answer that? How does a child even come up with this question?

Here are just a few funny things from the past to get us started:
  • At the age of 2 1/2, while learning to say the alphabet, I said "say W, like this honey: double-you", to which he replied "double-WILL".
  • At the age of 3 1/2, while learning the days of the week, he was pronouncing the word 'Thursday', as 'Fursday'. Apparently, this is common for children to say an F sound for the TH in words. So we worked and worked and finally the light bulb went off and he said very plainly Thursday. This was followed by much mommy cheering. Then he moved on and said, "and next, there's THRIDAY, then Saturday". He still slips up on this one 18 months later. He even calls them "THINGERS" instead of fingers.
  • At the age of 4, while praying before bed, William thanked God for "lava and bullets".
  • At the age of 4 William was wearing his favorite polar fleece spaceship footie pajamas (*note: I believe footie pajamas should be in the Cutest Things on this Earth Museum. But I digress)... anyway, he runs into the kitchen and says in that serious little boy voice "I really wish these rocket ship pj's would blow fire out my bottom".

In the coming weeks, I'll try to remember as many things as I can. And hopefully going forward I will post things as they happen. So there. Now you can stop begging for this blog. Don't come crying to me when you've fallen asleep at your computer.

1 comment: