
On Sunday - after Paige's Birthday Party - my sister-in-law talked my boy into coming home with her. For three nights! With SIX children! Sleeping ON THE FLOOR! It was all very spur of the moment.
Normally, William doesn't do well with spur of the moment. So when he agreed to go, I rushed off to pack him before he changed his mind. (Consequently, I only forgot his toothbrush. Aren't you impressed?). Less than 20 minutes after the conversation started, they were pulling out of the driveway.
And that's about the time I quietly began to panic.
What if he's scared. Did I push him into this? What if the other kids are mean to him. What if he keeps Amy up all night because he's never slept on a floor before. What if he turns his little nose up at all the food Amy prepares. What if there's a traffic accident? What if he drowns... in the bathtub.
Then I realized. Maybe it's not William who has a problem with spur of the moment.
I picked him up this afternoon at a community water park where all six children were happily playing. He shimmied up me like a possum and held on tight for a few minutes. Then ran off to try out a water slide. Apparently, he hadn't been brave enough to do it until I got there.
Then he told me he was ready to go. I'd originally intended to sit and visit with Amy while he played a bit longer. When he asked to leave, I was worried that he was having a bad time. So I ran off to pack the car. We said our goodbyes and I prepared myself to hear about his awful time at his cousin's house.
First, he said no less that 10 times "momma, I'm SO TIRED". Uh Oh, I thought. But then, he rambled on about how much fun he had. For AN HOUR. He talked about all the stuff he saw. The craft projects he'd made at VBS. He said how much fun he had with his cousins. 'And I get to go back in 3 days, momma!' He didn't stop talking until we were driving through Norman. Then he literally keeled over from exhaustion.
This kid never ceases to surprise and amaze me. Just when I think I can predict him, he goes and has a great time doing something spur of the moment.
Of course, it doesn't hurt that Aunt Amy made him cinnamon rolls the first morning, and bought him donuts today.
She's no dummy.
*please note: in no way can I ever ever ever return the favor to aunt amy. the thought of having six children under my roof and in my care makes me break out into hives. i'll have to cook her something delicious instead. amy - i'm taking orders... for the next 10 years.

No comments:
Post a Comment