Friday, June 5, 2009

What? It's been a year?




Sorry. I should have warned you about the picture, huh? I'll wait here while you go breathe into a paper bag, or perhaps pour yourself a stiff drink.

Ok. You back? Sorry again.

So, this is what I looked like exactly one year ago. Can you believe how far a person's belly can stretch? I was aware of how huge I had become, and apparently, felt like my hair needed to be equally large to compensate. When I see this picture, it reminds me to give my poor body a break. The fact that my stomach is a bit flabby, and my belly button is permanently frowning should be no surprise when I consider what I've put it through.

I remember this day, like all moms do, with bitter sweetness. I arrived at the hospital that morning determined to Not Be a Ninny. So, when the contractions got a bit strong, I decided to call my friend Susan. You know, to distract myself from the mounting pain. She answered and we chatted a bit, then I said I'd better go, as I was ready for my epidural. That was at 10am. When I called Susan back at 11:15 and told her I'd had an 8lb, 7oz baby girl she was agog. "But I was just on the phone with you an hour ago!" This baby came FAST. I almost didn't get that epidural in time. Heaven has a special place for the anesthesiologist who crawled in bed with me and counted in my ear through each contraction until the medicine kicked in. Seriously, the woman needs a halo and wings.
I have loved almost every minute of this year. When Paige was 7 weeks old, I wrote the following in my journal: 'This baby feels so much like she belongs here. Like she was away and has come home again'.
So, welcome home again baby Paige. I'm so glad you're my girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment